Saturday, April 12, 2014

Breakfast Rice Recipe

I posted a picture on my Facebook last week of one of my current favourite recipes. There was a good amount of interest in it, so when I made another batch during some food prep this week, I took pictures of all the steps to share. The recipe is fairly customizable and it can be tailored based on personal preference but here is the basic method.

The basic theory is to replace 1/2 of the cooking liquid with apple juice, add some warming spices, and use the resulting tastiness is a nice alternative to breakfast oatmeal or cereal.


Ingredients:

Rice  (follow package cooking instructions for rice:liquid ratio)
Apple Juice
Water
Pumpkin Pie Spices
Cinnamon - ground
Cinnamon Sticks
Vanilla

Optional additions might include raisins, cranberries, walnuts, almonds etc


I use a 7 grain medley for my rice (its the same medley I use as rice in general) because I like the texture that the different kinds provides. I haven't tried it with any other types of rice, but I'm pretty sure that any rice you prepare stovetop could be prepared using this general method.

For this batch I was making a lot to have for breakfasts for the week and to have some to share with friends that wanted to try it. If you don't want to end up with several cups of rice, then modify the amount you use.

I started with the pot off of the heat, adding:
2 cups of rice
2 1/3 cups of apple juice
2 1/3 cups of water
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
2 small cinnamon sticks


Cook according to package directions. The directions on mine were to bring mixture to a boil, uncovered, over high heat and then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until liquid is completely absorbed. This amount took about 22 minutes. I set my kitchen timer for 6 minutes at a time to check and stir the rice.



Boiling before being covered



Liquid reducing



My Handsome Helper



Finished cooking


I don't let all of the liquid completely reduce out because with the added sugar from the apple juice I am worried that it will burn. I don't leave it soupy, but if you push a spoon through the rice, there can still be some liquid visible at the bottom of the pot. I have found that as the rice cooks, the liquid kind of sets a little like a syrup, and is completely gone when I reheat.

After the pot came off of the heat I added 2 tsp of vanilla extract and a dusting of cinnamon. Both of these can be added to your own taste. Now would so be the time I would add any dried fruits or nuts if I were using them. Mix well.




This batch made just shy of 11 servings of 1/2 cup each. I portion them all out into my dishes and then into the fridge after they cool.




I prefer mine reheated, but this could also be eaten cold. It reheats well in the microwave and I like to add some coconut almond milk to loosen it up a bit. This morning I also added a few fresh raspberries. The tart berries worked really nicely with the sweet rice!

Give it a try and let me know what you think! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment